Monday, December 3, 2012

What is Cold Cream & the Magic in Cleansing Face!

Have any of you heard of the term "cold cream" lately? It's been mentioned quite often around the media that it is one of the "old tricks" for beautiful skin. I did a bit of research and here is what I have found.

Jar of the cold cream from the first half of the 20th century

Cold cream has been around for about 100 years, started in 1857 to be exact. It was used as a cosmetic preparation used for cleansing and softening the skin at the same time. It is actually an emulsion made up of a mixture of water and certain fats, usually including beeswax. The purpose is to remove makeup, smooth and soften the skin ALL AT THE SAME TIME. The term "cold cream" is derived from the cooling sensation that it delivers and leaves on the skin.

While celebrities such as Kylie Minogue admitted that she had botox herself, but ever since then she swore that all she uses to keep the youthful looking and beautiful skin is the Pond's Cold Cream. She said that she has religiously using it everyday and that is all she does to take care of her skin. It is such an old classic that was introduced to her by her mother. Ever since she made this announcement, the company Unilever, the umbrella company of Pond's started seeing drastic change in their sales. Sales has increased by 120% and that stock has also gone up.

So...... I've gone to the drugstore and got one myself to test it out. Here is what I got:

Pond's Cold Cream Cleanser




The Pond's Cold Cream Cleanser is actually a moisturizing deep cleanser and makeup remover at the same time. Unlike any other cleansers, half of it comprises of moisturizer, which is 50%. It has Mineral Oil to remove makeup, dirt and even stubborn waterproof mascaras. It also has Beeswax to lock in moisturizer and preventing it from leaving the skin. It is suitable for sensitive skin and won't clog pores.

Ingredients:
Mineral oil, water/agua, ceresin, beeswax, triethanolamine, behenic acid, fragrance/fragancia, ceteth-20, cetyl alcohol, carbomer, dmdm hydantoin, idodopropynyl butylcarbamate, methylparaben.


Tina's Personal Experience:
I've been using this cold cream once a day, primarily at night for removing makeup and cleaning my face, for about 2 weeks now. I've had positive experience with it so far. There has been no irritation or rash occurred. I did see that my skin got brighter and definitely softer after washing my face with this product and on the following morning waking up.

This is how much I normally use every time washing my face at night to remove makeup. 






I don't use a cloth to wipe it like the instruction said. Instead I use it like it is a cleanser, gently rubbing it onto my face in circular motion and then wash it off with warm water. Your skin will actually feel like it is moisturized, that same feeling when you try washing off Vaseline.

Close-up of BEFORE pictures
and I had some eye makeup with waterproof mascara on, too.


                                Close-up of AFTER pictures

So what do you think?

I honestly think that this cold cream cleanser does a great job in removing all of my makeup, including the waterproof mascara that would normally requires me to use a separate eye makeup remover. You can see that it completely softens my skin after washing my face with it. I love it!

The only thing that worries me is the "methylparaben" listed on the ingredients list. Methylparaben is one of the parabens and is a preservative chemical formular. It is often found in several fruits, such as blueberries. There has a been a controversy between the use of methylparaben or propylparabens are harmful chemical used in cosmetics and body care. However, both of them are listed under Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) for food and antibacterial preservation.  What freaks me out is that studies indicate that methylparaben when applied to skin may react to UVB and UVB is what leading to skin aging and DNA damage.

Rating: 4/5

Will you consider buying it again?   No. Because of the "methylparaben" listing in the ingredient. But if you really wanna try, you can get it at any drugstores for around $7 to $9 or buy on Amazon for little cheaper.


Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylparaben


No comments:

Post a Comment